Current open positions at Philly Improv Theater are listed below, with specific application directions. Have general questions about working at PHIT? Please contact us using the theater’s main email address.
Philly Improv Theater Job Openings
MASTER ELECTRICIAN (Temporary, Freelance)
Since its opening in 2005, Philly Improv Theater (PHIT) has been the heart of Philadelphia’s nationally recognized comedy scene. Prior to the pandemic, PHIT was producing performances year-round in Center City, ranging from fully improvised comedies, to brand-new sketch shows, and whatever else we came up with. In addition, the PHIT Training Center was dedicated to developing talent locally, offering adult comedy classes in improv, sketch writing, stand-up performance, and acting. We are excited to re-open for shows and classes in the fall of 2022.
At this time, PHIT seeks an experienced Master Electrician to prepare our two house lighting systems for reopening.
This position reports to the Operations Director. This short-term project will include cleaning and servicing the lighting grids in the PHIT Main Stage and Second Stage spaces (about 100 instruments) and hanging a rep plot in each in preparation for the coming season.
Position Type: Temporary, Freelance
Expected Time Commitment: Short-term project, approximately 40 hours
- Cleaning and servicing lighting instruments in PHIT’s Main Stage and Second Stage
- Troubleshooting any electrical issues, executing repairs, and ordering replacement parts as needed
- Hanging and focusing a basic rep plot in each space
- Preparing documentation for each space
- Reporting to the Operations Director regularly regarding progress and needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or related degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One to three years related work experience
- Mastery of the ETC Element 40 and Leviton MC 7024 light boards
- Experience working with, maintaining, and repairing conventional lighting fixtures
- Experience creating light plots and other documentation for future use
- Excellent communication and project management skills
Compensation and Benefits:
- $25/hour for the duration of the project, approximately 40 hours.
- Regular work opportunities beyond the scope of this project are available if interested.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MASTER ELECTRICIAN APPLICATION”
Philly Improv Theater’s goal is to embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. As an equal opportunity employer we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills of the community we serve at all job levels.