Philly Improv Theater is excited to announce that we are now seeking writers to assemble a team of sketch comedians for the specific purpose of putting together a Halloween sketch show! We are also very excited to announce that this project will be helmed by the fantastic Alyssa Truzskowski! Alyssa has worked with Cups And A Half as well as PHIT Sketch Team Fezziwig and we are very happy to have her on board. Alyssa will be working with a team of writers to put together a full-length show that will have a through-line structure that allows for a variety of hilarious Halloween/weird/paranormal/scary sketches throughout.
Writers selected for this show will need to be available for weekly meetings on Sundays from 1pm – 3pm starting August 5th. If you are interested in acting in addition to writing, you will have the opportunity to note that on your submission form. Note this is a call for writers at this time, not actors.
The dates for his as yet untitled Halloween Sketch show are as follows:
Thursday, October 18th
Friday, October 19th
Saturday, October 20th
Thursday, October 25th
Friday, October 26th
Saturday, October 27th
Wednesday, October 31st
We also ask that any applicants have a willingness to adapt to Slack, which will be the primary method of communication for the project. This project is unpaid, but will be part of the theater’s payment policy which allows for payments. This information will be shared with those selected.
To be considered for a writer position on the new sketch house team you must complete the below form and submit your writing packet (online or in person). Your writing packet must adhere to the following guidelines:
- It must not include your name or any other identifying information.
- Your submission packet must be no more than 7 pages.
- The first page of the packet should contain 10 sketch pitches (1-2 sentence descriptions of sketch ideas) in the theme of the show.
- After your page of sketch pitches you can include up to 2 sketches (6 pages maximum) that demonstrate your best sketch comedy writing. Full sketches do not need to fit the theme of the show.
- Your submission packet must be a single file, saved in .PDF or .DOCX format. Click here for a free online PDF file merge. If you are unable to upload your file for any reason, please fill out this form and then make arrangements to drop off a hard copy of your writing packet by sending a message with “Halloween Packet Hard Copy in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your entire submission (including digital or hard-copy of your sketch packet) must be received electronically or in person no later than 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 29th.
Once your packet is submitted you can expect to hear back the week of July 29th. Thank you so much for your interested in joining this project and we hope to see see a submission from you!