For the first time in over a year, Philly Improv Theater is putting together two brand new Sketch Comedy teams set to debut in the summer of 2018! Sketch house team writers meet weekly with a head writer working to create new shows at a consistent rate. Teams get a two-week headlining sketch slot at PHIT – a total of four performances for each show about every four months. PHIT is looking for writers who can think outside the box, surprise the audience, and (most importantly) bring the laughs! We strongly encourage women, people of color, people in the LGBTQIA community, people with disabilities, and veterans or active military service persons to submit a writers packet!
The theater is excited to announce two head writers who will each be leading their own sketch team into the wild world of sketch comedy.
Steve Swan – Formerly of sketch projects Dog Mountain and Hoagiefist, Steve Swan will be bringing years of experience with some of PHIT’s most beloved sketch projects to a brand new team!
Julia Hudson – Formerly of Barbara Bush, Sweetish, Dog Mountain, Brought To You By…, and a host of other sketch projects, Julia Hudson is one of the most prolific sketch performers and writers in the city of Philadelphia and will be leading the charge on a brand new sketch team!
We ask that all writers submitting packets are either enrolled in or have completed Sketch 201 at the Philly Improv Theater Training Center. Writers who do not meet this prerequisite can still apply with permission of the Sketch Producer. Simply submit your form and packet and be sure to fully detail your writing experience. If you are interested in acting for the new sketch team but not writing, keep an eye out for sketch house team actor auditions in late spring of 2018!
With so many skilled writers in the Philadelphia comedy community, we are excited to create another opportunity to showcase their talents. We look forward to reading your submissions and adding new groups to the growing PHIT house team roster!
To be considered for a writer position on the new sketch house team you must complete the below form and submit your writing packet. Your writing packet must adhere to the following guidelines:
- It must not include your name or any other identifying information.
- Your submission packet must be no more than 11 pages.
- The first page of the packet should contain 15 sketch pitches (1-2 sentence descriptions of sketch ideas).
- After your page of sketch pitches you can include up to three sketches (10 pages maximum) that demonstrate your best comedy writing.
- Your submission packet must be a single file, saved in .PDF or .DOCX format. Click here for a free online PDF file merge. If you are unable to upload your file for any reason, please fill out this form and then make arrangements to drop off a hard copy of your writing packet by sending a message with “Sketch Packet Hard Copy in the subject line to: email@example.com
- Your entire submission (including digital or hard-copy of your sketch packet) must be received electronically or in person no later than 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, March 25th, 2018.