For the third straight year Philly Improv Theater will be staging an original sketch comedy show for Halloween! This year’s A Nightmare on Jawn Street: A Horror Comedy Sketch Show will be directed by Artistic Director Mike Marbach (Study Hall / Not Yet Rated: An Improvised Movie) with James Knight (NYTEshift / Tiny Arson) stepping in as head writer.
“I think this year’s show is going to have a much darker tone overall. It’s Halloween. I want us to scare people and make them a little uncomfortable just as much as we’re making them laugh. I”m specifically looking for people with a true appreciation and knowledge of the horror genre to work on this show.” ~ Mike Marbach
We ask that all writers submitting packets are either enrolled in or have completed Sketch 101 at the Philly Improv Theater Training Center. Writers who do not meet this prerequisite can still apply with the permission of the Scripted Producer. Simply submit your form and packet and be sure to fully detail your writing experience. If you are interested in acting for this project but not writing, keep an eye out for actor auditions in September.
Writer’s meeting will be held weekly from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m on Saturdays starting July 27th. This project is unpaid.
To be considered for a writer position on the project you must complete the below form and submit your writing packet. Your writing packet must adhere to the following guidelines:
- It must not include your name or any other identifying information.
- Your submission packet must be no more than 10 pages.
- The first page of the packet should contain 5 sketch pitches (1-2 sentence descriptions of sketch ideas) in the horror comedy theme of the show.
- After your page of sketch pitches you can include up to 2 sketches that demonstrate your best sketch comedy writing. Full sketches do not need to fit the theme of the show.
- Your submission packet must be a single file, saved in .PDF or .DOCX format. Click here for a free online PDF file merge. If you are unable to upload your file for any reason, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Your entire submission (including digital or hard-copy of your sketch packet) must be received electronically or in person no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, July 24th.
Once your packet is submitted you can expect to hear back by noon on July 26th. Thank you so much for your interested in joining this project and we hope to see a submission from you!